Working with WordPress themes – continuing with SLA23Things

Posted on August 3, 2008
Filed Under Social Networking, Web2.0 | Leave a Comment

I’ve spent several days “trying on” different WordPress themes for this blog, personalizing them a bit, and then seeing what they look like on the screen, abandoning the ones I don’t like. I now have something that’s workable, after changing colours for the header (which I discovered was in several pieces), removing elements that I don’t like from the header, changing fonts here and there, adding in more widgets, and moving things around a bit. This goes beyond the necessary for the Facilitating Online Communities course, but fits in well with SLA’s 23 Things program. It’s a great learning experience and has moved me forward with my understanding of technology – I’ve always been a bit of a tinkerer and this web2.0 stuff feeds into that.

I haven’t been able to identify yet where I can change the text on the right side of the black header bar. I’ve been through every file associated with this theme, as well as examining the page source. Another mystery to solve along the way.

Here’s the comparison of the original theme and my current version. I’ve made quite a few changes, as you can see:

original modernpaper theme

original modernpaper theme

reworked modernpaper theme (first version)

reworked modernpaper theme (first version)

What I still want to do, at a minimum:

I’ll just keep tweaking away until I have something I’m happy with – it’s what I do best.

Comments

Leave a Reply