Selected Projects and Publications
Environmental scans, analyses and writing
- Suicide Prevention, Intervention and Postvention Initiative for BC: Conducted comprehensive systematic literature search and selection of key documents discussing suicide prevention, intervention and postvention strategies. The goal of this project [in process] is to develop an evidence-based provincial framework document that would serve as a planning template for local and regional initiatives addressing these specific suicide issues
- Factors that Support Successful Transitions by Aboriginal People from K-12 to Postsecondary Education (PSE): Conducted comprehensive systematic literature search and selection of key documents identifying challenges faced by Aboriginal students that affect their completion of high school and their transition to, and retention and persistence through, PSE. The purpose of the study was to inform the development of appropriate practices and policy decisions across Canada (with Atlantic Evaluation Group for the Canadian Education Statistics Council)
- Social Housing: Comprehensive literature search, identification of existing programs internationally, and summary of findings (core issues/factors driving social housing needs and challenges; what various jurisdictions were doing in terms of policy direction and practice) for development of social housing policy for Prince Edward Island (project with Atlantic Evaluation Group)
- Supporting Sexual Health and Intimacy in Care Facilities: Guidelines for Supporting Seniors and Adults with Disabilities Living in Long-Term Care Facilities and Group Homes In British Columbia, Canada: Identified and interviewed key informants and experts in sexual health for the elderly and people with disabilities; conducted systematic literature search for documents discussing clinical, legal, ethical and educational aspects of the topic; obtained difficult to find documents such as unpublished guidelines and policies from individual facilities and from government agencies internationally
- Community Partnerships in Postsecondary Education: Conducted an environmental scan and summary report on models for and existing community partnerships in postsecondary education. Report discussed aspects of community partnerships in postsecondary education that would increase access to postsecondary education for students from underrepresented groups (students from Aboriginal communities, lower-income families, families where neither parent had previously pursued postsecondary studies, and some minorities) (project with Dyad Projects for Canadian Post-Secondary Access Partnership)
- Public Health Website Content Analysis: Analytical review of the content of a preventive health and health promotion website, including recommendations for content development, and the analysis of proprietary health-related databases for use in future systematic reviews in preventive health and health promotion for a national public health government agency
- Use of Psychotropic Medications in Children and Adolescents: Report summarizing the debate surrounding the issue from clinical, legal and sociocultural perspectives, including extensive bibliography and identifying experts in the field, for a non-profit health research foundation
- Comparison of DSM Editions: Report on the emergence and comparison of child and youth diagnoses in Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders – DSM editions I to IV (text revision)
- Continuous Enhancement of Quality Measurement (CEQM) in Primary Mental Health Care: Closing the Implementation Loop - Identifying and recruiting experts in primary mental health care for Canada-wide research project funded by Primary Health Care Transition Fund
- Performance Measurement: Qualitative and quantitative analysis of performance measurement reports aimed at senior decision-makers for a Health Canada funded research project
- Corporate Philanthropy: Report reviewing and comparing HIV/AIDS philanthropic programmes of leading pharmaceutical companies for an international consulting firm specializing in developing countries
- Back-to-School Preparedness: Literature review and annotated bibliography of child and youth back-to-school education material around mental health promotion and substance abuse for a non-profit community services organization
- Corporate Communication: Survey of newsletters and other communication tools for health-related information for a regional health authority
- Disability Issues: Editing of a set of educator booklets designed for elementary school teacher for the Kids on the Block educational program of a province-wide non-profit disability organization
Comprehensive and systematic literature searches
- Comprehensive literature searches for review of clinical services for strategic planning for ambulatory/outpatient facility for Fraser Health Authority – Surrey Memorial Hospital
- Comprehensive literature searches of services for strategic planning for Acute Care Capacity Initiative for Fraser Health Authority
- Health policy
- Child and youth mental health service delivery models and systems
- Mental health promotion for aboriginal children and youth
- Women's health frameworks and development/evaluation of women's health indicators
- Government policy, including legislation, on supported employment programs for the mentally ill
- Health human resources planning
- Models for health consortia development
- Staffing, training and delivery models for vision care
- Determinants of supply and distribution of physicians and other health providers
- Trends in nursing resources
- Quality of care
- Public reporting of performance measures
- Population-based eye care service quality indicators
- Best practices in mental health services for individuals with dual diagnosis (mental illness and developmental disability)
- Clinical effectiveness debates in hospital-based technology assessment
- Allocation of resources
- Gender and health care utilization
- Pattern of practice and patient utilization analysis for vision care
- Patterns of morbidity and health services utilization by persons with chronic disease
- Autism and Lovaas treatment, cost-benefit analysis
- Patterns of outpatient surgery for cataracts
- Hospital services utilization, depression and health determinants
- Health services utilization by immigrants
- Cost-effectiveness of coronary stents
- Inappropriate prescribing to the elderly
- Appropriate use of prescription drugs
- Governance issues
- Governance and patient safety
- Wait lists
- Access to health services in Canada and priority setting
- Employee satisfaction
- Factors affecting nurse satisfaction in hospital settings
- Patient satisfaction
- Factors contributing to patient satisfaction in hospital settings
- Identification of patient satisfaction tools in hospital settings (emergency department, long-term care facilities, day surgery and mental health)
- Development of a mental health toolkit for self-management of mental illness
- Guidelines for public and patient education strategies around mental illness
- Minimum data set development and information systems to track delivery of mental health services
- Self-management of chronic disease
- Cross border medicine
- Premature mortality rate (PMR) in relation to and as measure for health status and need for health services
- Traumatic brain injury and return to work/supported employment programmes
Giustini, D. and Wright, M.D. (2009). Twitter: an introduction to microblogging for health librarians. Journal of the Canadian Health Libraries Association, 30(1), p. 11-17. Available from: http://pubs.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/jchla/jchla30/c09-009.pdf
Wright, M.D. (2008). Community partnerships to increase access to post-secondary education: effective partnerships issues. Vancouver, BC: Apex Information.
Wright, M.D. (2008). Supporting sexual health and intimacy in care facilities: guidelines for supporting seniors and adults with disabilities living in long-term care facilities and group homes in British Columbia, Canada. Literature search – methodology, bibliography, key informants [report for Public Health Agency of Canada]. Vancouver, BC: Apex Information.
Wright, M.D. and Kazanjian, A. (2007). Best practices for vulnerable populations: methodology for systematically reviewing evidence of effectiveness for the Canadian Best Practices Portal for Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention: Geographic Location – Rural: final report [report for Public Health Agency of Canada]. Vancouver, BC: Dept. of Health Care and Epidemiology, UBC.
Wright, M.D. (2007). Independent information professional. In: A day in the life: Career options in library and information science. Westport, CT: Libaries Unlimited.
Wright, M.D. (2006) The use of psychotropic medications in children and adolescents: an overview of the debate [report for St. Luke's Health Initiatives, Arizona Health Futures]. Vancouver, BC: Apex Information.
Wright, M.D. (2005). Fraser Health Library Service: Guidelines for DB/TextWorks data entry and cataloguing conventions. New Westminster, BC: Fraser Health Library Service.
Wright, M.D. (2004). Developing standards for a public education resource centre: Questions to ask and considerations. Vancouver, BC: Apex Information.
Wright, M.D. (2002). Searching PubMed: An introduction [tips sheet]. Vancouver, BC: Vancouver Coastal Health Authority.
Kazanjian, A., Helmer, D., and Wright, M.D. (2001). Evidence-based health policy in Canada: Identifying the appropriate information for health technology decisions. Scipolicy, 1(2), p. 198-225.
Helmer, D., Wright, M.D., and Kazanjian, A. (2000). Shooting from the hip or target practice: A comparison of fugitive and conventional search results. Presentation Medical Library Association, Canadian Health Libraries Association Joint Conference. Vancouver, BC: BC Office of Health Technology Assessment.
Helmer, D., Wright, M.D., Savoie, I., and Green, C.J. (1999). Bibliography on systematic reviews: Locating, understanding and using the evidence. (BCOHTA 1999:2W.) Vancouver, BC: BC Office of Health Technology Assessment.